Brazilian industry ended the first quarter with falling production in March, pressured by vehicles at a time of intensified restrictive measures due to the resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic in the country. In March production fell by 2.4% compared to the previous month, according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE).
Source: Money Times
The state of São Paulo produced 11,957 GWh of bioelectricity from sugarcane from thermoelectric plants in the sugar-energy sector in the 2020/2021 harvest. The amount represents 54.4% of the total generation for the National Interconnected System (SIN).
Source: Energia Hoje
Bradesco has announced the goal of directing R$250 billion ($45 bn) to sectors and assets of positive socio-environmental impact through its businesses by 2025. The goal, according to the bank, considers the granting of credit for activities classified as having a positive contribution, financial products and services with a social and environmental focus for individuals and companies.
Source: UOL Economia
Latam announced a program to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. The goal is inserted in the program called “A necessary destination”. The company estimates investing about $100 mm in sustainability strategies in the next decade. “We will be carbon neutral in 2050,” said the president of Latam, Roberto Alvo, in a virtual event.
Source: Agencia Estado
TIM Brasil has signed an agreement with IHS Brasil Participações for a partnership at FiberCo Soluções de Infraestrutura. IHS will hold 51% of the fiber-optic infrastructure company, which is focused on providing wholesale services, and TIM Brasil will hold the remaining 49%. HIS, a Nigeria-based telecoms infrastructure provider, will invest R$2.6 billion ($472 mm) for its stake in FiberCo. The new company will be responsible for the “last-mile” infrastructure, the final stretch to the client’s home.
Source: Valor International
BRF, Brazil’s largest poultry meat processor, has announced it will invest R$292 million ($53 mm) in the state of Paraná until 2022, in addition to resuming turkey production at its Francisco Beltrão plant, according to a statement published.
Source: 6 Minutos
In view of the difficulty and the great demand of companies to obtain credit, the National Program of Support to Micro and Small Enterprises (Pronampe) should return in the coming days seeking to give a new impetus to companies in crisis. Projections indicate that R$ 5 billion ($900 mm) should be directed to this credit line.
Source: Jornal Contabil
With the demand for products such as soybeans and iron ore in high demand, especially in China, Brazilian exports should jump this year and the trade balance register a record positive balance. Banks and consulting firms estimate that the surplus may reach $ 73 billion.
Source: UOL Economia
One of the winners of the auction for isolated systems, Brasil Bio Fuels will invest around R$ 80 million ($14.5 mm) in the lots that it managed to win in the contest. The company’s president, Milton Steagall, said that BBF, which is the largest palm oil producer in Latin America, used its successful experience in Rondônia, where it has plants. The fuel will be produced in the state, generating jobs for local labour.
Source: Canal Energia
The Brazilian Industrial Research and Innovation Company (Embrapii) has launched a public call to select two Brazilian research institutes that may receive, over a five-year period, investments of up to R$60 million ($21 mm) each to become hardware competence centres (called CCHs) for national industry.
Source: Agencia Brasil